Published 14 Mar 2017

Out with the old, in with the new at Selsey Lifeboat Station

Gilbert & Cleveland has enjoyed a long-term association with Selsey Lifeboat Station especially since the partner of our Selsey branch, Clive Cockayne has been involved with the station since 1970. Having been a part of the Selsey community for over 20 years, Gilbert & Cleveland is looking forward to welcoming the new station which has been handed over to the RNLI this month.

The new all weather Shannon Class lifeboat has been named in memory of a Selsey RNLI major benefactor and will be called The Denise and Eric. Over the past year we have witnessed many exciting changes in readiness for the new boat which is shore launched. A beautiful modern Lifeboat Station now sits on the lifeboat green and this building will house the new boat, a crew room, the shop and museum plus an engagement area for visiting groups.

The original Selsey Lifeboat service started in 1861 with RNLB The Friend. She was launched straight from the beach on skids. The lifeboat’s first Coxswain was local man James Lawrence, who skippered The Friend for 25 years until his retirement. Lawrence’s long service and the number of lives he saved meant, upon his retirement, he was awarded the RNLI silver medal. 

A final firework display has been organised for Friday 24th March followed on the 1st April 2017 with the last ever launch of the existing slipway lifeboat. Likewise to celebrate the new station, the Off Centre Choir will be performing Sea of Songs in the boat hall in the evening.

 

© Gilbert & Cleveland 2017

On the Market Right Move

Website design by Brightword